Saturday, September 13, 2014

September --- aaannnddd.. here we go!

We are a month into school and I am relieved to be over some of the annoying challenges of using technology on a normal basis.. like the whole "Wait.. what is my log in again?!"

Though that step is done, I still feel very overwhelmed about getting my kids to work at a faster pace and knowing how to track with me. For example, I was doing a math lesson and I was trying to have the students toggle between a Google document and my website. They were to read what their task was on the Google doc and then use a site to hep them with the assignment. HOWEVER, by the time I had already gone to the other site and pulled up the information, I realized my students didn't know what I was doing because they didn't know to scroll the page down. I didn't even think that I needed to talk through that. Now I know that I need to literally walk through each step and not assume. Huh... I think this has been a reflection of mine at the beginning of every school year. :(

2 comments:

  1. As a fourth grade teacher I am always so impressed with the amount of direction kids need to get a basic proficiency. As you mentioned you can never assume they know something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, just think the more practice they get the better it will be, especially for PARCC in the spring. You are doing the right thing by making it "normal" in your instruction, they will get there. We are in the same boat so just keep swimming :)

    ReplyDelete