Monday, March 17, 2014

So why is it that every insecurity I have as a teacher feels extremely heightened in February and March? Oh wait... I know... let the standardized testing begin. I have had many days where I have felt like I was harming students more than helping them! I know that I am, by nature, very hard on myself but I just want to see my students shine as the writers that I know they are. Therefore, when I do some practice test writing samples, and a student asks me what a paragraph is, or doesn't include a topic sentence, or is still not indenting, I feel completely discouraged. I understand that the high stakes tests are just snapshots, but I still feel a great deal of pressure for them to succeed. I will be very happy when this week is over and we can get back into our routine of Writer's Workshop. Oh wait... then we have MAPS and CMAS. I guess this is why this time of the year feels so hectic. I hope all of you are seeing great success in your classrooms and are getting through these weeks of testing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment